Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Andaman dreams



Travelling is always fun. It actually takes the form of a blessing when a surprise trip commences after a long and tiring week of wedding preparations, entertaining guests, pre-weeding rituals, actual wedding day arrangements, receptions, ceremonies and continues smiling. It would be an understatement to say that by the end of it all, I was exhausted. I was so down and out that at the top of my wish list was to crawl into a bed and sleep for a decade. Just when I thought that my longing was about to come true, my husband blurted out that our next destination or as they say ‘honeymoon’ was not back to home at Mumbai as I had expected but Andaman island. Yes, Andaman islands! Suddenly my sleep vanished and all I could think of was the sun clad pristine beaches of the island. Sleep can wait after all.

So after a two hour flight to Chennai from Delhi and then again two hour flight to Port Blair and we were officially in Andaman. It’s a small place by any Indian town standards but still it’s delightful. The feeling of being in one of the most remote spots on the planet was oddly exhilarating. But the friendly and smiling people of the city who speak surprisingly fluent Hindi and the continues cell phone reception somehow didn’t make me feel isolated. Just the kind of travel I like!



Port Blair
The sightseeing of the city started with a tour of the much dreaded Cellular Jail. Every evening at 7pm hundreds of tourists queue outside the jail a buy a ticket worth Rs. 20 and watch the show inside. Before, you jump to the conclusion thinking it’s an evening movie show, let me correct you. Cellular Jail was notorious for ill treating Indian freedom fighters and was rightfully called “Kaala Paani”. The show is basically a light and sound show and explains about the past of jail in an animated form. It was just like listening to radio show which was quite fascinating. The show was awesome but somehow left me with a sense of gloom (not to forget that it started raining midway the show). I guess I shouldn’t have expected better from an ex-notorious jail. There are also other options of entertainment in Port Blair such as paddle boating for the weak hearted and the more brave ones can opt for jet skiing at the Water Sports Park.

Havelock
Our next stop from Port Blair was Havelock Island. Next day we took an early morning AC ferry (which also had a snack bar to my delight) and 2 hours later, we were in Havelock. Upon disembarking we were greeted by the tropical rain showers (not that I mind it) but our driver was already waiting. I was expecting a long drive but within 5 minutes we were in our cottages which to my squeaking delight, also had a private beach. Now let me tell you, the beach was the kind we see in movies and travel brochures. Pristine white with emerald green and blue water, it was so calm and welcoming that we wanted to camp there itself. Havelock is the kind of place that you never want to leave. Quite, calm with great people, great weather and great sea food with generous options ranging from scuba diving, deep-sea diving, snorkelling, game fishing, and coral watching or just plain lazing around with a book. It’s a lazy man’s paradise! We hired a scooter as a mode of transportation and the next couple of days were spent relaxing, swimming and just getting fat, till we started for our next destination.



Baratang
Baratang is place in Andaman which very few people care to visit. Maybe because it’s a 4 hour drive from the main city and in addition the place is so remote that even cell phone reception won’t be able to trace you. The way to Baratang is accompanied by dense forests which go for miles and it also inhibits one of the rarest tribes of the island, Jarawas. We did catch a glimpse of two of them standing on the side of the street asking for paan. The uniqueness of the place is also defined by its famous Mud Volcanoes, Parrot Island and fantastic fish curry. Baratang as a place is an acquired taste and if you are a true traveller, you will love it!

The remaining days in Andaman were a blissful blur of moments that I wish I could go back to. To say that it’s picturesque would be an understatement as its true beauty can only be experienced once you are truly there. The place just made me wish that my honeymoon should had lasted longer. Perhaps a year.

Tip: An alternative to taking a flights are ferry’s which start from Chennai and tales 3 days each way.

No comments: