Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Kashmiri piercing



The day I decided to marry a Kashmiri man, I didn't know a few facts.

1. They are an extremely religious bunch and have a fast for almost every day of the week. But thankfully Anant does not follow. Phew!
2. Any Kashmiri girl planning to get married or a non Kashmiri girl marrying a Kashmiri boy will have to gets an ear piercing symbolizing that she is a part of the elusive community.

Ah the piercing! It’s not just any piercing let me say. This was one is pretty unique. Firstly, I am never a big fan of making holes in my body. The only time I got my navel pierced, it got totally infected and thus the stud had to be removed. Yes…it was pretty gross! So naturally the idea of getting my ears poked was making me nervous. Now this ear piercing needed to be done in the inside cartilage of the ear. Ouch! Yes I was freaked out! I got my regular pierced at the age of 25 after the piercing done at childhood had gone horribly wrong and was thoroughly infected. (I just seem to have bad luck with piercings).

On the positive side, I did have the choice if not going ahead with the piercing but then I wanted to impress my soon to be mother in law and secretly thought that if I have the guts to go ahead with it then ultimately it will look pretty cool!;-)

So I goggled it! That part of the ear is called the “Conch” and apparently it does hurt getting that pierced. That’s not good! Someone suggested that I stop reading about it because all the information will just freak me out. But I was obsessed. I needed to know all that I can about the procedure so I read all that I could. The end result? I was hyperventilating the day of the piercing.

But still I managed to get to the tattoo parlor with my soon to be sister in law. Her attempts to make me feel better on the way totally failed and I was on my verge of tears. I was in so scared that I shooed her away from the piercing room so that I could cry shamelessly.

So did I cry?

Yes I did. Very shamelessly. But it was more out of anxiety than pain. The pain was bearable because my ear was totally numb due to the shoot of anesthesia. The guy who was piercing my ear AJ could not help but laugh his guts out seeing me sob. His only line was “If you feel no pain then why are you crying”? Bah!

I came out sometime later with tow studs in my ears. It was done. Do I feel like a Kashmiri now? Surely not. But the stud looks pretty cool and makes me look pretty ethnic. That cheered me up for sure. Not to forget all the special treatment I got back at home.

And yes, if you are thinking of getting it done. Go for it but just make sure whoever does it uses anesthesia. There is no pleasure in pain!

19 comments:

Vagabond said...

and lady you still not loose who u are n not a Kashmiri

and they look nice :)

Vivek said...

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiramisu said...

Thanks good sir..I do think they look kinda hot and Vivek...yes Ouchhhhhhhhhhh was I could say while getting it done!;-)

GG said...

Wtf, is 'goggled' it?!
And you're stupid. You should've stuck used chamkeele stickers instead.

Tiramisu said...

U suck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Neeha ,
I am a non-Kashmiri getting married into a Kashmiri family .Hence planning to get my piercing done befor "D-day " . Wanted to know how long does this piercing take to heal ? With the piercing done 2 months before the marriage will I be able to wear the traditional ear jewellery ?
thanks
Priya

Vijaya said...

Hey Dear I am a non-Kashmiri getting married into a Kashmiri family, hence planning to get my piercing done.
Does it pain... ?

Vijaya said...

I am a non-Kashmiri getting married into a Kashmiri family, planning to get my piercing done.
I would love to do that.
Wanted to ask you does it pain?

Aakriti Patwari said...

I got a piercing done... didnt hurt tho.... iam wearing diamond studs... my boyfrnd is a kashmiri.... n yes it does make me feel a part of the 'group' makes me feel nice.

Pooja said...

pls cud u tel me whr can i get this done ?

Anonymous said...

Hi iam also non kashmiri
I wanna ask wt are the process of getting married to a kashmere guy? I mean documents is thrre a need for birthcertificate or what and how to do it
I mean the all process
Tnx

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a non-kashmiri & going to marry a kashmiri guy. Yes it pains a lot. I went to tattoo piercing parlor & was fainted when she put the needle.Its been 4 months & the pain is still there. I had put stud but one ear got infected badly.I suggest you do piercing from jewelers with the help of thin gold wire since they are true professional. After piercing put a gold wire like ring to avoid infection.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am in love with a KP and would love to pierce my ears for him. Your article was very helpful

Anonymous said...

Can you please share the details of the piercing center

curry said...

Hello ,

Can any one suggest from where any good range of these kashmiri online ear jewellery can be purchased online

Unknown said...

@Bhalla Jeweller +91
9810083711

Sakshi Bhardwaj said...

M a kashmiri pandit.. and I got my piercing done.. it hurts.. but m strong.. nd it looks good..

sassy said...

Conch ? I think you meant concha?

Anonymous said...

I'm a Tam Brahm. I love Kashmiri culture and Shaivism. I got my conch punched. To be honest, neither the punching nor the healing caused me any pain whatsoever. I got it done I Europe and had a very experienced piercer. I didn't have any anesthesia. It barely hurt. Threading and waxing hurt me way more. ;)